6 SIMPLE REASONS TO WAIT FOR THE IPHONE 6
Since Apple announced it’s new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, Apple fans everywhere are anxiously awaiting the new iPhones. I know, because I’m a huge Apple fan and I’m always counting down the days to the next iPhone announcement. Before I became frugal, I bought the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPad, and Macbook Pro on the day that they were released! So, I love Apple products and I even took the day off and waited in line for 11 hours just to buy by iPhone 4. It was my first iPhone and I NEEDED it before my friends. BUT, the iPhone 5S is different and you don’t need it.
Here are 6 reasons to wait for the iPhone 6:
1. You don’t NEED a new iPhone 5s. Seriously! Unless your iPhone is broken, it doesn’t logically make sense to spend $199 for a new iPhone 5S just to have the newest iPhone. It’s not financially smart and it doesn’t make you any cooler.
2. It’s not in your budget. Unless you planned ahead and actually put the iPhone 5s in your budget for September, it’s not in your budget! And if it’s not in the budget, then you don’t need the iPhone 5s. It’s just another WANT.
3. It’s not much different than the iPhone 5, at all. You don’t need the iPhone 5S if you already have an iPhone 5 because it’s not ground breakingly different than the iPhone 5. When Apple released the iPhone 4S with the new SIRI, its technology was different than other smartphones, it could actually talk to you and give relatively sound advice. And when Apple released the iPhone 5 with a larger display and a thinner frame, it was a notably better iPhone than the iPhone 4S. But aside from it’s awesome ability to scan your finger (with a new fingerprint identity sensor called the Touch ID to unlock the iPhone 5S and purchase iPhone apps), the iPhone 5S offers only basic upgrades to its performance, like a faster processor (64-bit A7 chip), faster wireless, and an improved iSight camera. Most of us will not really notice any of those “updates.” The iPhone 5S even looks EXACTLY like the iPhone 5, so no one will even know the difference except that the iPhone 5S will come in different colors: silver, gold, and space gray.
4. You can’t afford it. If you’re taking on extra debt to buy this iPhone 5S, stop and think about this. It’s not financially smart to buy a new iPhone 5S unless you’re selling your current iPhone and making more money than it costs to buy your new iPhone 5S. (If you are trying to sell your old iPhone 5 then do it right now at Amazon, Walmart, Apple, GameStop, or Gazelle because the longer you wait, the less it will be worth! And your current iPhone 5 will already be worth less on September 20th when the iPhone 5S is available.) Otherwise, use the $199 you would have spent on the iPhone 5S to pay off your debt. Or save your money for something that you really need- like an emergency fund!
5. You will be stuck with your current, expensive cell phone provider. Most of the iPhone providers automatically upgrade your cell phone contract for an extra 2 years when you get a new iPhone. So you’ll be stuck in that cell phone company and will be unable to switch to some of the companies who now offer contract-free plans lately. I personally am “stuck” with AT&T since I’ve upgraded from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S but will FINALLY be free from my contact on October 7th! I can’t wait to find a cheaper iPhone plan!!
6. You will have to buy the iPhone 6 for full price next year. All of us Apple fans know that historically, a new iPhone comes out about every year. So we can expect the iPhone 6 in about a year and if you buy the iPhone 5s now, the iPhone 6 will be very expensive (probably over $649.00 at full retail value). Is that cost REALLY worth it just to continue this trend of buying every new iPhone?
Until the first iPhone was released, we were all content with keeping our simple flip phones for 2 or 3 years! Remember those days? It was only a few years ago! So, before you run out and blindly buy the new iPhone 5S, stop and think about it. You might realize why you don’t need the iPhone 5S!
**Are you still planning on buying the iPhone 5S? Convince me that I NEED the iPhone 5S.**
Monica On Money was mentioned on the following personal finance blogs recently! Thank you for the support, I appreciate it!!
Carnival of MoneyPros hosted by Money Pros
Yakezie Carnival hosted by Money Life & More
Finance Carnival For Young Adults hosted by Degrees and Debt
Carnival of Financial Independence hosted by Savvy Scott
Carnival of Financial Camaraderie hosted by Frugal Rules
Carnival of Financial Planning hosted by This That And The MBA
Festival of Frugality hosted by The Frugal Toad
Carnival of Money Pros hosted by Money Wise Pastor
Yakezie Carnival hosted by Money Q&A
Finance Carnival For Young Adults hosted by Mr. Military Money
Carnival of Financial Independence hosted by Bite The Bullet Investing
The Wealth Builder Carnival hosted by My Wealth Builder
Carnival of Personal Finance hosted by Avant Credit
Carnival of Personal Finance hosted by Money Life and More